The Internet of Water has established 6 strategic goals to guide its planning in the first three years:
- Develop the IoW organization, including an effective governance structure, to lay groundwork for, and provide ongoing support to, the development and realization of the IoW vision.
- Develop water data hubs and build capacity to make water data more open and facilitate data curation, integration, and tool development nationwide.
- Build IoW partners and coalitions to solve the collective action problem of making water data open.
- Demonstrate IoW value by conducting pilot projects with and through partners and coalitions.
- Establish IoW technical architecture for achieving federated discovery, sharing, and exchange of water data across regions and sectors.
- Communicate stories across sectors and geographies around how connected water data created value in order to grow investment in data infrastructure.